Monday, May 30, 2011

2006 Ridge Zinfandel - Pagani Ranch

Happy Memorial Day everyone, in honor of the holiday, I thought to keep it American as possible tonight. In one word: Zinfandel.
Thought to be Americas great grape, until genetic testing revealed it to be related to primitivo that was brought to the Americas at some point in our foundation. Be that as it may, winemakers in The States have truly exalted this varietal to new perspectives.

As much as we would all love to drink Caymus, Shafer Hillside Select, and Ridge Montebello; The zinfandel from some of these vineyards tends to be a more entry level pricing, of the Cabernets of the same vintner.
Tonight’s selection I have pulled a wine from my stash; a 2006 Ridge Pagani Estates Zinfandel. While classified as zinfandel (88%) it has been blended with 7% Alicante Boushchet, 3% Petit Sirah, and 2% Caragnan.
This bottle retails for 38 us dollars at my lws, however I received this bottle as a gift from my sister and brother in law, for cooking for my nephews baby shower. Being that my nephew turned one this week, I thought it would be a perfect time to drink!
I decanted the wine for one hour before drinking, however, the aroma was overwhelming as soon as opening the bottle. The red fruit came straight at me.

The aromas consisted of strawberries dipped in chocolate, and with almost a little nutmeg and pepper. The flavor did not disappoint either, long lingering flavors of red berries and spicy notes. The color and texture of the wine was inky, mostly contributed to the little petit sirah. Rating:93

For dinner tonight; cheeseburgers with caramelized onions and cheddar, homemade BBQ potato chips and corn on the cob, followed by some watermelon.


We consumed a couple additional beverages this evening. It was quite warm today, so a little PBR was in order.


No comments:

Post a Comment